1. career (n) your occupation for a big part of your life（終身的）職業
At the age of 50, Mrs. Dumont decided to change her career from nurse to teacher.
2. factor (n) a point that contributes to a result因素；要素
When choosing where to live, access to public transportation may be an important factor.
3. professional (n) a person doing a profession (usually higher status ones) 職業選手；專家
Medical professionals mostly agree that this medicine doesn’t work.
4. engineer (n) a person who builds/designs/maintains buildings, machines, or structures工程師
A group of engineers is planning a new bridge over the river.
5. accountant (n) a professional who handles a company’s or people’s financial records 會計師
Our company accountant was fired for making too many mistakes on the numbers.
6. fairly (adv) pretty/quite公平地；相當地
Carly is fairly certain that her boyfriend is going to propose to her soon.
7. laborer (n) a manual worker, blue collar worker勞動；勞工，勞方
Many laborers in our country are immigrants.
8. psychiatrist (n) a doctor that specializes in mental illness心理醫生
After seeing a psychiatrist, the patient was declared mentally ill.
Phrases and Sentence Patterns 句型解析
1. in (high/low) demand (phr) needed高度/低度需求的；受/不受歡迎的
Doctors always seem to be in high demand.
2. S + have (some/a little/a lot of/no) trouble V-ing (sentence pattern) 做…有困難…
Did you have any trouble reading my directions?
1. Many high school students feel nervous about what ____________ to choose.
2. There are many _______________ to consider before we make this decision.
3. ______________ from many different industries will be at the conference.
4. What is the name of the ______________ who designed this machine?
5. The _____________ is busy finishing up his month-end financial reports.
6. Wow, this dish is ______________ spicy!
7. Thousands of _______________ went on strike to improve working conditions in local factories.
8. He went to a _______________ about his compulsive gambling.
9. He’s a famous math tutor so he is ____________ these days.
10. Elsie is very honest and open; she has ____________ sharing her feelings with others.
9. in high demand
10. no trouble
Comprehension Questions 閱讀理解
1. What is one problem with the study?
a. They only looked at two dozen countries.
b. They only considered less than 20 careers.
c. They only looked at one part of the world.
d. They only looked at male professionals.
2. Which of the following professions would be a good idea of you wanted a high chance of finding a job?
a. Building engineer.
b. Software tester.
d. Space scientist.