Airbnb is a booking service that has taken the world of accommodation by storm. Founded in 2008 and with its headquarters in San Francisco, Airbnb is now one of the world’s most popular accommodation services, with over 3 million places to stay listed. The Airbnb website enables hosts to offer up their home, apartment, hostel, hotel, or even tree house to potential guests. Here we look at the top-3 most popular Airbnbs listed in 2016. If you want to make a reservation at any of these, you’d better do it way, way, way in advance.
1. Tree House, Atlanta, USA
This tree house, or rather three tree houses connected by rope bridges with lights on them, was the most popular Airbnb in the world in 2016. This listing receives rave reviews, with guests praising its laid-back atmosphere. Despite being located in a forest, it is only a few minutes away from downtown Atlanta. So how much does it cost for you and a friend to have the whole thing to yourself for a night? NTD12,000 is the current going rate for one night.
2. Seashell House, Isla Mujeres, Mexico
This quirky home on Isla Mujeres, or “Island of the Women,” takes the number two spot. The two buildings on site are shaped like a pair of white seashells, and all of the furniture and decorations inside are in line with the seashell theme. There’s also a gorgeous pool, as well as a beach nearby. One night goes for NTD9500 for four guests.
3. Modern Glass Tree House, Florence, Italy
Another tree house sits in the third spot. More of an elevated structure than a tree house, this handsome property sits on a family’s land about 30 minutes-walk from Florence’s main square. The land also features tennis courts, and guests can use the hosts’ kitchen. The rate is NTD7000 per night for two.
1. accommodation (n) place to stay 住宿；調節，和解
Does your company cover your accommodation on all your business trips?
2. headquarters (n) main office of a company 總部
The Disney headquarters is in Burbank, California.
3. rave (adj) enthusiastic/positive (related to a review or recommendation) 吹捧性評論，狂熱吹捧
Food critics gave rave reviews to the new Mexican restaurant.
4. praise (v) to say something/someone is great 讚賞
Brian was praised for his efforts in the project.
5. laid-back (adj) relaxed 休閒的，閑散的
My friend Carlton is kind and laid-back.
6. quirky (adj) weird in a kind of cool way 古怪的，詭異的
Prince was known for his unique, quirky style of pop music.
7. elevated (adj) raised 升高的，提高的
An elevated corridor connects the two buildings.
Phrases and Sentence Patterns 句型解析
1. take sb/sth by storm (phr) to succeed overwhelmingly within a group 席捲…
The boy-band’s first album took the world by storm.
2. going rate (expression) for sth. the standard/typical rate 一般費用或酬金
What is the going rate for a 2L bottle of Coca-Cola these days?
3. on site (expression) at that location 在現場，實地
The park has two swimming pools on site.
4. in line with (phr) matching, similar to 符合，與…一致
Manuel’s role in the play is in line with his actual personality.
1. Marvin’s favorite form of ______________ is the B&B.
2. Many technology companies have their ____________ in Silicon Valley, California.
3. Parker published a _______________ review of Microtel Hotel on Boracay shortly after his visit.
4. The critic ______________ the chef’s artistic style of presenting dishes.
5. You don’t even need to wear shoes in this ______________, beach-side restaurant.
6. Brett is known for his ______________ personality; he’s quite different than anyone you’ll ever meet.
7. The host stood on a/an _______________ platform beside the stage.
8. Bart’s guitar performance on the stage took the audience _____________.
9. The _____________ for a newspaper in my dad’s childhood was 25 cents.
10. Are there any ATMs _____________ at the conference venue?
11. Everything the speaker said was _____________ Jodie’s beliefs.
8. by storm
9. going rate
10. on site
11. in line with
Comprehension Questions 閱讀理解
1. How can one book a room at one of the top-three Airbnbs?
a. One must pay a very expensive deposit.
b. One must make a reservation very early.
c. One must live in the USA, Mexico, or Italy.
d. It is impossible.
2. Which accommodation is the cheapest per person for one night?
a. Tree House, Atlanta, USA
b. Seashell House, Isla Mujeres, Mexico
c. Modern Glass Tree House, Florence, Italy
d. Seashell House and Modern Glass Tree House