1. The violence _______________ on the second night of the war, when bombs were fired from both sides.
2. China was badly hit by the economic _______________ in the early 1930s.
3. The entire market _______________ overnight, making the value of stocks drop to almost zero.
4. Demand for that kind of hat ______________ after the pop star wore it in one of his videos.
5. The backpackers were having so much fun, but they knew that _______________ they had to go back home.
6. That boxer is so strong that he seems _______________ impossible to beat.
7. That boxer is so strong that he seems _______________ impossible to beat.
8. Mr. Anderson has gone _______________ because he keeps borrowing money from people to fund his gambling habit.
9. Winning that award _______________ easy accomplishment.
10. There were many factors contributing to the couple’s divorce, but _______________ was the fact that they always argued over small things.
7. If it had not been for
8. into debt
9. is no
10. chief among them
Comprehension Questions 閱讀理解
1. Who was adversely affected by the global financial crisis?
2. Which of the following did NOT happen when the housing bubble popped?
d. All of the above.
a. Many Americans lost their homes.
b. Some large banks became very rich.
c. Investors lost large sums of money practically overnight.
d. The value of homes suddenly dropped.