Did you, or do you plan to, attend university? If yes, why?
Maybe your answer is that you want to have a good, high-paying job. But did you know that some of the world’s richest people dropped out of university? Here are just a few examples:
- Michael Dell, founder of Dell, dropped out at 19.
- Steve Jobs, founder of Apple, dropped out at 19.
- Bill Gates, founder of Microsoft, dropped out at 20.
- Mark Zuckerberg, founder of Facebook, dropped out 20.
- Travis Kalanick, founder of Uber, dropped out 21.
In fact, there are plenty of examples of billionaires who didn’t even finish high school. Amancio Ortego, founder of Zara, and Richard Branson, founder of Virgin Records, are two examples from the fashion and entertainment industry.
Does this mean that you should drop out of university? Probably not.
Did you notice a common theme in the above list? All of those who didn’t graduate from university went on to found technology companies. Most of them were already developing their company before they dropped out. So unless you are doing the same, maybe you had better finish university. Statistics still show that university graduates have a better chance of finding a higher paying job.
1. founder (n) person who founds a company 創立者，締造者
Donna Smith, the founder of this technology company, is no longer the CEO.
2. entertainment (n) providing amusement 娛樂
Many workers in the entertainment industry are treated like gods and goddesses.
3. theme (n) subject or topic 主題
The main theme of this movie is love.
4. unless (conj) except if 除非
Please call your mom after you arrive, unless she calls you first.
5. statistic (n) a piece of data 統計數值
The researcher is analyzing numerous statistics in order to draw some conclusions.
Phrases and Sentence Patterns 句型解析
1. drop out (phrasal verb) quit school or a program/course 輟學
Fewer and fewer students are dropping out of high school, which is a good thing.
2. plenty of (phr) lots of 許多
There are plenty of reasons to visit Vietnam!
3. S + go on to + V (sentence pattern) After that, S did 在…之後，繼續
After scoring very high on TOEIC, Jonathan went on to get a job in a software firm.
4. S + had better + V (sentence pattern) S should V 最好
Applicants had better include a cover letter along with their resume.
1. Larry Page and Sergey Brin, the ____________ of Google, both attended Stanford University.
Larry Page與Sergey Brin為谷歌的創始人，兩人皆念過史丹佛大學。
2. Watching movies is my favorite form of _______________.
3. We need to write an essay on the _______________ of this book.
4. ______________ you want to get in trouble from the teacher, you should stop checking your phone in class.
5. According to ______________, 82% of teenagers in this country have a smartphone.
6. My father _______________ of high school to help my grandfather on the farm.
7. There are _____________ scooters to choose from in this scooter shop.
8. After meeting in college, the two of them _______________ establish an entertainment company.
9. In order not to get lost, you _______________ use GPS.
6. dropped out
7. plenty of
8. went on to
9. had better
Comprehension Questions 閱讀理解
1. What is the common theme of the examples given of people who dropped out of high school?
a. They all founded technology companies.
b. They all found success in the fashion or entertainment industry.
c. They all attended university.
d. They all were 19-21 years old when they dropped out.
2. What is the main idea of the article?
a. You had better drop out of university.
b. You had better choose the right major in university.
c. You had better found a technology company.
d. You had better complete university.