1. The weird noise made by the bird sounded _______________ familiar to Brandon, like maybe he had heard it before.
2. The only word that the boy could _______________ when he got in trouble was ‘sorry’.
3. A _______________ learns to analyze similarities and differences between languages.
4. Corinne blew out all the candles with one ______________.
5. Nobody showed any _______________ when Bruce told his joke. Apparently none of them thought it was funny.
6. Paul wanted his hair cut _______________ the hairstyle in the picture that he showed to the hairstylist.
7. Politeness will get you farther ______________.
8. Craig always _______________ what he is expected to do at work because he is trying to impress his boss.
9. After getting promoted at his job, Mr. Chen _______________ become the most respected manager in the company.
6. along the lines of
7. the world over
8. goes beyond
9. went on to
Comprehension Questions 閱讀理解
1. What could be a subtitle for the article?
2. What might some parents be disappointed to read in this article?
a. How to teach your baby to talk.
b. When babies start to talk.
c. Why babies usually say these two words first.
d. How babies learn to rely on their mother and father.
a. Their babies don’t know who they are when they are really young.
b. Their babies don’t actually know what mama and papa mean at first.
c. Their babies don’t really know how to make a puff of air until they are taught.
d. Their babies associate mama and papa with the wrong thing at first.