Five Tips for Reducing Jet Lag
降低時差的五個秘訣

語音播放:

If you’ve ever taken flight that crossed multiple time zones, then you’ve likely experienced jet lag. Extreme tiredness and a messed up sleeping schedule are what characterize jet lag, and the further you fly, the more pronounced the jet lag. Here are five tips for minimizing these uncomfortable effects.
假如你曾經搭過飛機跨越不同時區,那你可能就體驗過時差了。極度疲憊以及錯亂的睡眠時間都是時差的徵兆,你飛的距離愈遠,時差就愈明顯。文章中涵蓋了五個秘訣可以將這種因時差而產生不舒服感降到最低。

1. Opt for an overnight flight.
選擇夜間航班。
For longer flights, this is the best option because you will have dinner at a normal time then actually get some sleep during the flight.
對長距離的航班,這是最佳的選項,因為你會在一般時間用晚餐,然後在飛航旅程中小睡一會。

語音播放:

2. Avoid excessive alcohol and caffeine during the flight.
飛航中避免過度飲酒及咖啡因攝取。
Drinking too much alcohol will only make you feel worse later. Coffee might be tempting to keep you awake, but it’s better to avoid it and try to get a few hours of sleep.  Instead, drink lots of water to stay hydrated.
過度飲酒只會讓你之後覺得更糟。咖啡可能會讓你清醒,但最好要避免,試著睡幾個小時。反之,多多喝水保持水分。

3. Jump right into your new schedule
立馬調整成新的作息時間表
If you land in the daytime, try to stay awake, even if your body wants to sleep. If you land in the late evening, then go to bed at a normal time. This will help your body adjust faster to your new schedule. Avoid taking naps during the day when you first arrive, because your body might be confused and think it’s nighttime.
假如你在日間到達,即便你的身體很想睡覺,你也要試著保持清醒。假如你在晚間到達,那就按照一般時間去睡。這會幫助你的身體快一點調整成新的作息時間。剛到達時避開白天的午睡,因為你的身體可能會很困惑而覺得是夜晚時間。

語音播放:

4. Go outside
待在戶外
Getting some sunshine on your skin after you arrive tells your body when it’s daytime. Like #3, this will help your internal clock to readjust.
到達時讓你的肌膚接觸陽光,這會告訴你的身體何時是白天。如第三點所述,這一招會幫助你的生理時鐘調整作息。

5. Consider taking melatonin
考慮服用褪黑激素
Melatonin is a non-prescription natural drug that is proven to relieve the negative effects of jet lag. A 3mg dose is recommended before bedtime for three days after you arrive.
褪黑激素是一種不需醫生處方的天然藥物,被證實能降低時差所造成的負面作用。到達當地後建議連續三天在睡前一次服用3毫克。

Vocabulary 好字精選

1. time zone (n) a geographical area where it is the same time 時區
We crossed 10 time zones during our flight to Canada.
我們飛往加拿大途中要跨越十個時區。

2. pronounced (adj) obvious, noticeable 顯然的,明顯的
The changes in Emily since the last time we saw her are quite pronounced.
自從我們上次一面後Emily的改變相當明顯。

3. opt (v) choose 選擇
We opted for a luxurious VIP suite overlooking the sea.
我們選擇奢華的VIP套房俯瞰大海。

4. excessive (adj) extreme, too far/much 過度的,過量的
Excessive fishing is causing a sharp decline in worldwide fish populations.
過度捕撈造成全球魚量大減。

5. tempting (adj) difficult to resist 有吸引力的,有誘惑力的
Wow, all the desserts on this menu are so tempting!
哇,菜單上所有的甜點都很吸引人!

6. hydrated (adj) containing sufficient water 保有水的,含水的
Hikers are advised to stay well hydrated on this hike as there isn’t much shade and the sun can be rather fierce.
我們建議登山健行客要多喝水,因為這個路段沒有太多遮蔽處,而陽光可能很烈。

7. prescription (n) the paper the doctor gives you that allows you to get a certain medication (醫生)處方簽
The doctor gave me a prescription for 20 tabs of anti-migraine medication.
醫生給我20錠抗偏頭痛的藥物。

8. dose (n) the amount of medicine one takes (一)劑量
The recommended dose of this cough syrup is 1 teaspoon.
這種感冒糖漿的劑量建議一次一茶匙。

Phrases and Sentence Patterns 句型解析

1. be messed up (expression) in a bad state, in disorder, doesn’t make sense, drunk 弄髒,弄亂
All these figures are messed up. Who prepared this chart?
所有的數據都亂了。這張圖表是誰準備的?

2. internal clock (expression) your body’s natural awareness of time  生理時鐘
My internal clock was totally messed up when I got off the 14 hour flight and it was daytime.
當我結束14小時的飛行,下機時還是白天,我的生理時鐘完全亂了。

Exercise 課後練習題

1. Beijing, Manila, and Taipei are all in the same_______________.
北京、馬尼拉及台北都在同一時區。

2. The thief had a ____________ scar on his left cheek.
小偷的左臉頰有明顯的疤痕。

3. If you are bothered by the smell of cigarette smoke, then make sure to _______________ for one of the non-smoking rooms.
假如你因為香菸的味道而不舒服,那確保你選擇非吸菸房型。

4. ______________ force was used to crush the protest, causing much criticism of the police.
過度用武阻止抗議民眾對警方造成不小的批評聲浪。

5. While it may be ______________ to jump into the ocean here, don’t do it because there’s a strong current that could carry you out to sea.
從這裡跳進大海裡很吸引人,但因為這裡的洋流很強可能會把你帶離海岸,因此請不要這樣做。

6. The jogger passed out and fell on the street because he wasn’t well ______________.
慢跑者昏厥過去倒在地上,因為他沒有多喝水。

7. This is a simple cold medicine that doesn’t require a _______________.
這是一項簡易使用的感冒藥,不需要醫生處方簽。

8. The doctor gave the patient a strong _____________ of painkiller.
醫生開給病患強力劑量的止痛藥。

9. The traffic laws in this country are so _______________! Some of them don’t make sense and nobody even follows many of them.
這個國家的交通法規很亂!有些根本不合理,許多法條甚至沒人遵守。

10. Tami’s _______________ was way off after the flight; she thought it was bedtime but it was only 4 pm.
下飛機後Tami的生理時鐘大亂,她以為是睡覺時間了但只是下午4點。

解答:
1.time zone
2.pronounced
3.opt
4.Excessive
5.tempting
6.hydrated
7.prescription
8.dose
9.messed up
10.internal clock

Comprehension Questions 閱讀理解

1. Which of the following could worsen jet lag?      
a. Drinking a lot of water.
b. Taking a nap as soon as you arrive.   
c. Taking a shorter flight.
d. Taking melatonin.

2. Which of the following is not mentioned in the article?
a. Sleeping tips for the days before you fly.   
b. What you should and shouldn’t consume on the flight.  
c. Ways to adjust your internal clock.
d. A safe pill that can help.

解答:
1. 以下選項何者會讓時差更糟?
a. 大量飲水。
b. 一到達就小睡一會。
c. 搭乘較短程的航班。
d. 服用褪黑激素。

2. 以下選項何者在內文中並未提及?
a. 起飛前數天的睡眠建議。
b. 你在飛機上應該及不應該的飲食
c. 調整生理時鐘的方法。
d. 有幫助的安全藥品。

版權宣告

本內容版權為驊鉅數位科技有限公司所擁有,未經授權請勿作商業使用。 
轉載時請勿修改圖片文字內容等資訊,並保留版權宣告的相關訊息,否則將視為侵權使用。
© Huachu Digital Technology Limited Company. All Rights Reserved.
Please do not change any contents and information when you forward this newsletter, and keep all messages of COPYRIGHT. Or you will infringe the rights of Huachu Digital Technology Limited Company.